Photogrammetry is really cool (if very challenging) concept! The idea is that if someone takes enough pictures around an object, 360 degrees from a few different angles, the computer program can “read” these pictures and use them to create a three dimensional object! WOW. Like, using the shift it sees in what it identifies as “background,” it can figure out the space that the object takes up. Using a cell phone camera and my shaky camera skills, though, it’s easier said than done.
Our class project has been to construct pieces of a chess set. I’m doing a pawn! My side’s theme is Denison areas of study, so I wanted to do something with my home department, Women’s and Gender Studies. I got my good friend to pose for me–and a lot of thanks to her, since her foot got very sore! Pawns had to be kneeling in order to distinguish which ones they were.
Using Memento, the software, I made a rough figure. It turned out pretty well, considering my poor photography skills (what do you mean, my finger was in the frame for ten shots?? I ended up with 82 usable pictures). I cleaned it up a bit, like getting rid of the table that she was kneeling on and filling a couple of holes, then worked to shape her into a more person-looking thing. It took a while, but I’m feeling pretty good about the results, for my first time. The most trouble was with her face, because her features didn’t come through onto the 3D figure and her head was pretty ginormous and misshapen in the model, so I tried to create her a new head…I don’t think my future’s in sculpting. Then I created a gender symbol for her to hold on Autodesk Fusion 360. I figured it would be easier to design online than for the photogrammetry software to figure out, what with the hole in the middle.
But then I tried to bring it onto Meshmixer so that I could put her on the base of the chess piece and attach the gender symbol. Whenever I tried to put her on Meshmixer, I couldn’t find her! I think she was waaaaay out in space somewhere, but none of my valiant scrolling could figure out where, or how to get her back to the base. Hm. Luckily, one of my profs was able to find her, and get her where she needed to be! I attached her to the base and put the symbol in her hands, and that part took all of six minutes. She’s finally on the printer now!
Below are some pictures to show you the project at various stages. Also, you can find the statue on thingiverse.