Bridget Diana Project 1

For our first project, we were required to print something that moves using only one print. While limiting in some ways, this project certainly required us to have a sufficient knowledge of the software.

My print can be found on both Sketch Fab (also seen below) and Thingiverse.

I got the idea for this print from many children’s toys I’ve seen. I figured it could be used as a sort of rattle as it makes sound when shaken, or as a simple abacus for very young kids.

To make this print, I extruded a circle to act as the middle pole of this toy. Then, I sketched a bigger circle and split the center of it with the pole object I created, so this bigger circle was wrapped around the pole like a ring. Then, I scaled this ring so it was slightly separated from the pole, and copy and pasted this multiple times to create five rings. Finally, I added simple end pieces by creating two circles and combining the bodies with the pole. To print this, I used the standard detail setting in Cura, with supports touching the buildplate, and with the overhang angle for supports at 5 degrees.

The first time I printed this, it was a failure for a few reasons. First of all, the object was much too small. Secondly, the rings were too close to each other and too close to the pole as well. To fix this, I scaled the rings in Fusion to make them more separated from the pole and moved the rings farther away from each other as well. Then I scaled the entire object to be larger.

The second print had much more success. I used the same supports and printing detail as before, only changing the object in Fusion. As seen in the photo below, I was able to print an object that moves and functions exactly as intended. However, as you can see when looking at the rings around the pole, as the printer reached the top of the pole, it had trouble with the gap between the top of the pole and the ring, and when it began to print the ring got a little offset. This doesn’t hinder the object’s function, but it does make it look less aesthetically pleasing. To fix this, I plan on reprinting with the object possibly on an angle on its side, or possibly with the rings closer together, and in high detail. Updates to follow on how this turns out.

IMG_7332.JPG

First (successful) print

As I first said, this project was limiting as it had to only be one print. If this wasn’t a requirement, I could have made a “prettier” print with one end piece and every ring separate from the object, thus requiring some assembly but allowing for a print with different colored rings and higher quality in general. However, requiring this in one print did make me think about the best way to utilize space and work with the Fusion software.

Advertisements
This entry was posted by bridgethazeldiana.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: